A good potato gratin is one of dishes that can comfort, cure and calm. If you’ve had a bad day, a long day or just a lazy day; this will be sure to sort you out. It’s miraculous and just so easy to make. Let me know how you get on.
2kg floury potatoes like Maris Piper
284ml double cream (one small tub)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
500g grated cheddar cheese
How to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 240°C.
2. In a jug of sorts, combine the cream, milk and seasoning.
3. Take a large over proof dish and begin layering up the sliced potatoes.
4. After completing your second layer, cut one onion into fine moons and scatter over. Then pour over about 1/3 of the cream mix and top with a generous layer of cheese.
5. Continue like so until you run out of potatoes, making sure that the top layer is one of thick cheese. Finish with freshly ground black-pepper and some ground nutmeg.
6. Put in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and crusty, the cream is bubbling over and potatoes are tender. Enjoy!