Monday 11 April 2011

Monday 11th April 2o11

So, at work on Sunday, stopped to have a chat with Chef for a short while and I have to say I was floored. Just a regular conversation, y’know, “Hey, how are you?" "I’m fine thanks, how are you..?” to which he responded, “now I’m at work, I’m happy.” At first I thought he was being sarcastic but when he went on to explain how much he just loves his job, I was genuinely very surprised. I know so many people (in fact most people) who work only because they have to; after all you need money to survive, to feed your tummy and to fulfil any small dreams you have, dreams that have nothing whatsoever to do with work. These people, they don’t hate their job exactly, but I’m pretty sure they nowhere near love it either. I know my parents just accept theirs. And that used to worry me. I spent a long time wondering how you can stick with an occupation (or with anything, for that matter) when you don’t have a real passion for it. I’m just 21 and I flip jobs... well almost as often as the seasons change. M&S, Halifax and Costa, the Park Inn, Clas Ohlson and Mcdonalds. Furniture stores and sandwich shops, you name it. But I always get bored and move on. Growing up with parents who weren’t exactly overflowing with love for their respective professions, I guess I assumed that one day I too would have to settle for less than a love for what I do. You can imagine how relieved I was to hear some-one profess a dedication to what they do. And it’s so important, isn’t it, how can you give something a 100% commitment, when your heart isn't in it?

I’ll tell you what I do love – Laaaandaaaan. This city is my sweetheart baby. I find myself in Old Street today, I have finally begun my placement at YouGov; so far so good, though it has been a ridiculously long day, drawn out somewhat by the journey home. I have NEVER EVER seen a busier train (coming from someone who has travelled through Mumbai during rush hour) than the one that stood on platform 11 at Euston Station, Watford-bound at 6pm, JAM-PACKED with people half hanging out, and every inch of the platform squished full with even more people who had hoped to board the very same train. Including me. Crazy. Goodnight for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...